Sunday, January 5, 2014

C. J. Roberts-Seduced in the Dark (The Dark Duet #2)

Adult (Romance?) Contemporary-18+


BOOK TWO OF THE DARK DUET
The exciting, titillating, and action-filled conclusion to Captive in the Dark.

What is the price of redemption?

Rescued from sexual slavery by a mysterious Pakistani officer, Caleb carries the weight of a debt that must be paid in blood.

The road has been long and fraught with uncertainty, but for Caleb and Livvie, it’s all coming to an end.

Can he surrender the woman he loves for the sake of vengeance? 

Or will he make the ultimate sacrifice?

Quote: 
It seemed to Caleb, the nature of human beings revolved around one empirical truth: we want what we cannot have. For Eve, it was the fruit of the forbidden tree. For Caleb, it was Livvie.


{5 stars} ****SPOILER ALERT**** (I tried to write the review without spoilers, but I just can't)

Wow....how do I begin to manage the thoughts going through my head. Romance? I'm not sure I would call it a romance in any traditional sense. What it is, is a very tragic love story.

500 pages. Usually a 500+ page book would have a hard time keeping my attention, but I was held captive by this story, I hardly moved, I couldn't put it down. The sexual component of this book isn't anything I haven't read in a BDSM story, so none of it was shocking. And it was integral to the story. We switch back and forth in the timeline while Livvie tells us her story. I was confused at first, not sure how we got from the end of book 1 to a hospital in Laredo, but as Livvie tells her story to an FBI agent and a social worker we begin to put the pieces together. Lies, so many lies have shaped Caleb's life. Everything he was ever told was a lie, and when the pieces start taking shape it is almost more than he can take. The only thing he knows is Livvie, he loves her, he just won't admit it to himself or her. How could she love a monster like him? His loyalty to Rafiq is what keeps him from taking Livvie and running. He feels obligated to finish the mission they have started, but completely unaware that Rafiq is the reason his life was destroyed to begin with. But then he hears to hard truth. Livvie refuses to give up on Caleb, she is determined to make him fall in love with her. She knows if he loves her he will never sell her. It just takes a lot of tears, jealousy, and pushing to get him to see it. Once on the run, nothing gets easier and Caleb must set Livvie free. I appreciated the way the story switches from present to past, it kept me on the "edge of my seat" so to speak. I couldn't wait to see how it all really was going to end. And I am very happy with the ending........

No comments:

Post a Comment