Monday, July 4, 2011

Adrian Phoenix--A Rush of Wings (Book 1 of The Maker's Song)

HIS NAME IS DANTE. Dark. Talented. Beautiful. Star of the rock band Inferno. Rumored owner of the hot New Orleans nightspot Club Hell. Born of the Blood, then broken by an evil beyond imagination.

HIS PAST IS A MYSTERY. F.B.I. Special Agent Heather Wallace has been tracking a sadistic serial murderer known as the Cross Country Killer, and the trail has led her to New Orleans, Club Hell, and Dante. But the dangerously attractive musician not only resists her investigation, he claims to be "nightkind": in other words, a vampire. Digging into his past for answers reveals little. A juvenile record a mile long. No social security number. No known birth date. In and out of foster homes for most of his life before being taken in by a man named Lucien DeNoir, who appears to guard mysteries of his own.

HIS FUTURE IS CHAOS. What Heather does know about Dante is that something links him to the killer -- and she's pretty sure that link makes him the CCK's next target. Heather must unravel the truth about this sensual, complicated, vulnerable young man -- who, she begins to believe, may indeed be a vampire -- in order to finally bring a killer to justice. But Dante's past holds a shocking, dangerous secret, and once it is revealed not even Heather will be able to protect him from his destiny.... 

{4.5 stars}
I picked up this book solely based on the reviews by other readers. So when I began I had high hopes for the story, but I was confused for the first couple of chapters. And if it weren't for the Glossary, I would have put the book down. I really couldn't figure out what was going on with the Cajun/French/Elohim language. But I didn't give up and I'm glad. It is an incredible story, very layered, great characters and a mystery like I have never read before. It is not your standard Vampire story, far from it in fact. Dante and Heather are a great couple, along with Dante's "family" they are complex characters and have a path of their own. There is always this sexual "tension" between Heather and Dante, and even though we only get one "bedroom" scene with them, you will enjoy the romance that builds with them, even in the face of horrible tragedy and death. I have a lot more questions regarding Lucien and the Fallen, and how Dante will deal with this knowledge, but I guess it will be revealed in the next book. My only complaints about this story is: 1. It should be Dante's picture on the cover, not what we are to believe is Heather, since she never wore that outfit in the story. And Dante's description definitely deserves a cover. 2. It was too long, I felt dragged down occasionally by the overwhelming detail in parts of the story (that's why I gave it a .5 star decrease). I don't really need all the absolute minute details to understand the story. But other than that I am glad I gave the book a chance, I read it to the end, and can't wait to see what happens to Heather and Dante next.

No comments:

Post a Comment