Thursday, September 29, 2011

Adrian Phoenix--Beneath the Skin (The Maker's Song #3)

CHAOS CONTROLS HIS FUTURE. ONE MORTAL WOMAN COULD BE HIS SALVATION. THE COUNTDOWN TO ANNIHILATION BEGINS WITH DANTE'S CHOICE... THE FATE OF THREE WORLDS... —

The dark pieces of vampire rock star Dante Baptiste's past are violently emerging, and it is only a matter of time before the Fallen discover he is the creature they have sought for thousands of years. The destruction he left behind in Oregon threatens to reveal his identity as Maker and True Blood, exposing the young nightkind to shadowy predators -- mortal and supernatural -- who will do whatever it takes to win his favor... or destroy him.

RESTS IN DANTE'S HANDS.

When beautiful FBI agent Heather Wallace went AWOL on assignment, she chose irresistible Dante over the shady government forces that now stalk them both. Heather has her own secrets of the past to uncover, but she is also the only one who can hold her nightkind lover together when his dangerous quest for the truth threatens to send him over the edge. And as she and Dante fight for their survival, she realizes they must work together to protect their future -- before his mysterious destiny tears them apart.


{4 stars}
Finally....It took me forever to get through this book. I kept putting it down to read other stuff. I really do love Dante's story......but.....It's not fluid and fast enough for me. The story gets bogged down for me with all the "shadow branch" deception. The amount of pages covering the secret government groups and their evil plots is, well, just plain boring to me. I get it already (so I started skimming through those parts). And I realize that they are a part of Dante's history and the reason he is so damaged. But, I repeat, I get it already. That being said, that is my only complaint about the series. Dante and Heather are amazing lead characters, and their entourage are lovable and charming and I'm just as attached to them. There is a lot of tragedy in this book, we flashback thru Dante's childhood learning all the awful things that were done do him. It makes you love him even more. Without giving any spoilers away, this is an essential book in the series. The pieces to a very large and layered puzzle are snapping into place. And all is not lost for some key characters. And I will even go on to read the next one....I've become adept at skimming the evil government parts and focusing on my crush on Dante......

No comments:

Post a Comment