Saturday, April 28, 2012

Amanda Stevens--The Prophet (Graveyard Queen series #3)

Paranormal romance

My name is Amelia Gray.I am the Graveyard Queen, a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. My father passed down four rules to keep me safe and I've broken every last one. A door has opened and evil wants me back.

In order to protect myself, I've vowed to return to those rules. But the ghost of a murdered cop needs my help to find his killer. The clues lead me to the dark side of Charleston—where witchcraft, root doctors and black magic still flourish—and back to John Devlin, a haunted police detective I should only love from afar.Now I'm faced with a terrible choice: follow the rules or follow my heart.

{4.5 stars}
Eerie & suspenseful. Stevens brings in old south superstitions to mix with a great suspenseful mystery. This all started with Amelia restoring an old cemetery in Charleston, where she found herself right in the middle of the path of a serial killer. This is where she meets John Devlin, the detective working the case. But he has his own mystery surrounding him, the death of his wife and daughter. After taking a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains in book two, where we discover Amelia's roots, we have now returned to Charleston, and back to Devlin. The mystery surrounding Devlin is not simple, it has many layers, suspects, and lots of supernatural elements. The Ghosts of Devlins past are reaching out to Amelia, including the ghost of the detective murdered the day Mariama and Shani died. If you are not from the south some of the aspects of this series may be confusing, but I think it's all blended well with the core mystery of the book. Stevens has a real knack for the this kind of mystery, I really love her style. And I'm really happy to find out that this series is going to continue on past this trilogy. Amelia is a great character, and each cemetery she restores has its own story to tell. Give Graveyard Queen a try, I think anyone with a taste for suspense will enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment