Saturday, October 15, 2011

Darynda Jones--First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson #1)

Paranormal romantic suspense

A smashing, award-winning debut novel that introduces Charley Davidson: part-time private investigator and full-time Grim Reaper.

Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.

{4.5 stars}
I discovered this book through a Goodreads Friend review, and she was right, its a great start to a series for a new author. It is full of humor (i found myself laughing out loud), the banter between Charley and everyone else is non-stop, and that's how it hooked me. Then the characters had me falling in love with it. Charley is not your ordinary Grim Reaper and the Entity following her is smoking HOT in more ways than one. I couldn't wait to find out who the Entity was. And as if her life wasn't complicated enough, she finds new and interesting ways to get injured---daily. There is so much going on in this story that you can't possibly get bored with it. And it's not your normal paranormal suspense. The basic premise of the story is such a refreshing change, I have not read anything like it. And truthfully, I'm not sure I could explain this book without giving spoilers away. So I'm just going to say that you have to give it a try. My only complaint is that it ended. I have already pre-ordered the next one and Darynda Jones has been added to my favorites list. She is definitely a new author to watch...

No comments:

Post a Comment