Sunday, August 18, 2013

C. M. Stunich--Real Ugly (Hard Rock Roots #1)

Adult Romance 18+

Turner Campbell is an asshole.
I f*cking hate him.
But I can't get enough either.
He sings like an angel and f*cks like a devil.
If I could, I'd run away and never look back because to tell you the truth, I think this man might be the death of me.

***

Naomi Knox is a bitch.
I can't f*cking stand her.
But I can't stop thinking about her either.
She looks like an angel and plays like a devil.
If I could, I'd f*ck her good and forget all about her, but to tell you the truth, I think this woman might be my last saving grace.



{4 stars}

WTF did I just read? It started out rough, I didn't like it, but I pushed through to give it at least a 25% chance. Then I fell into the story and forgot about the things I didn't like (and the proof reading errors). I just followed along on a rock journey that has little to do with music and more about the pain of decisions made on your way to that rock dream. Turner and Naomi have a past, one he doesn't remember at first. But Naomi holds on to that memory, and its aftermath, like a shield against the world. She pours all her pain and rage into her song writing, but her past is reaching out and slapping her in the face. Turner realizes who she is, and that she is the "one" he must have. She challenges him, fights with him, and is the one girl he remembers above all the countless girls he has slept with. They are a complicated mess. Sex, drugs, fighting, all the things that go along with a rock tour. Then add in their past encounter together, Naomi's murderous past, and you wind up with a rather intriguing mystery. It's not a romantic fairytale, it gritty, raw, ugly, and compelling. Didn't think I would like it, but wound up being captivated by it. Going on to read book 2.......







No comments:

Post a Comment